Looking for information?

Welcome to the Family Information Service (FIS) which offers free information and signposting for ALL parents, carers and guardians in RCT.

We have compiled a list of the things we are contacted about most frequently. If you still cannot find what you are looking for, our contact details are at the bottom of the page.

Financial Support for Families 
Things to do in RCT 
Support Services
Parenting Tips
Parenting Courses
Advice and Ideas for Children and Young People
How to Contact Us


We can signpost you to find the right childcare provider for you, applying for financial support or free childcare spaces or to find information on how you can start a career in childcare.

Finding a Childcare Provider

Use the DEWIS database to find the right childcare for you including nurseries, childminders, playgroups, breakfast clubs and after school clubs

Free / Financial Support for Childcare

There is support available to families to access funded childcare placements in Rhondda Cynon Taf, and this support differs with the age of your child.

  • Tax Free Childcare is a government scheme which can help with childcare costs for all ages.
  • Flying Start offers funded childcare placements for eligible families in Rhondda Cynon Taf from the term after your child turns 2 until the end of term in which they turn 3.
  • The Childcare Offer for Wales (30 Hour Childcare Offer) offers funded childcare placements for eligible families in Rhondda Cynon Taf from the term after your child turns 3 until the September following their 4th birthday.

Careers in Childcare 

Rhondda Cynon Taf’s Childcare Team can support you in developing a career in childminding.

Financial Support for Families

Raising children can be costly, but did you know there is financial help for families
Here are some schemes and initiatives that can help support families in Rhondda Cynon Taf: 

Financial Support for Childcare

There is support available to families to access funded childcare placements in Rhondda Cynon Taf.

Financial Support for Families with Children in Education

There are several ways that families can be financially supported if they have children in education. 

Benefits, Discounts and Tax Credits

There are a variety of benefits or tax credits that families can apply for. You can check each one for your eligibility.

Grants and Loans

Families in Rhondda Cynon Taf can access a variety of grants or loans according to their circumstances.

Worrying about money can make you very stressed. There are many services in RCT that can give money advice and support to families. We have put them all in one place so you can quickly decide which one is best for you. 
Rhondda Cynon Taf county Borough Council has a webpage dedicated to consumer advice and money matters.

Citizen's Advice in RCT can help you with:

  • Benefits
  • Debt
  • Housing
  • Consumer
  • Parking tickets 

The NHS has advice on how to cope with financial worries.

Shelter Cymru has resources and office advice on:

  • Emergency help with money
  • Debt
  • Mortgages
  • Money advice

Transport for Wales Cymru offer a variety of discounted travel cards such as:

  • Two together
  • 16-17 Saver
  • 16-25 Railcard
  • 26-30 Railcard
  • Family and friends
  • Senior
  • Disabled persons
  • Job centre plus
  • Student
  • Veterans


If your child goes to school within Rhondda Cynon Taf, there is lots of information on the Rhondda Cynon Taf website to support you.

There is also financial support and free services available for families with children in RCT schools.

Free School Meals

If your child started Reception on or after September 2022 they will be eligible for Universal Primary Free School Meals.

For all other school years you may be eligible to apply for free school meals.

Free Breakfast Clubs

The free breakfast club initiative is aimed at providing all primary school pupils with the opportunity of receiving a free, healthy breakfast at school each day.

Free School / College Transport

Your child may be eligible for free transport to school or college, depending on where you live.

School Uniform and Supplies

You may be eligible to access the Pupil Development Grant in Rhondda Cynon Taf in you have a low income to help with the purchase of school uniform and supplies.

Purchasing a Musical Instrument

Pupils receiving instrument lessons in school can make savings by purchasing an instrument through the Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme (AIPS)

Childcare for Part-Time Education Placement

If your child is between 3 and 4 years old and are currently in / will be starting in an education placement within a school or registered education provider on a part-time basis, you may be eligible to funded childcare through the Childcare Offer for Wales.

Welsh Medium Education

Welsh medium education is available to every child here in Rhondda Cynon Taf. There are many added benefits to choosing a Welsh medium education. There is a lot of information about Welsh Medium Education, from Early Years Education to Secondary Schools and a range of additional support.

Things to do in RCT

Rhondda Cynon Taf has many places to visit, groups and activities suitable for families. See our ‘Things to do together’ section for ideas on where to go and ideas for activities to do at home. You can even search things in your local area, such as playgroups, playschemes and more!

Support Services

The Community Wellbeing and Resilience Team offers support to children, young people and families in RCT. Take a look at our Support Services and what we can offer you.

Parenting Tips

We have a host of parenting tips that will help you and your child live a happy and healthy life. Take a look at our 'Tips for Parents' Section

Parenting Courses

We have specialist programmes and courses for families, parents and children of all ages. Take a look at our 'Programmes and Courses' section.

Advice and Ideas for Children and Young People

If you are looking for advice, support or ideas suitable for children and young people up to the age of 25, take a look at our 'Children and Young People' section.

How to Contact Us

Family Information Service

Email: fis@rctcbc.gov.uk
Freephone: 0800 180 4151
Freephone from mobiles: 0300 111 4151

DEWIS is a database of all services that can help in your area. Find services that can help you. 

Pages In This Section